Monday, March 29, 2010

It's too late, too bad, she's too far gone.

The past few days have been spent in Naples. Although both of my cameras already hold hundreds upon hundreds of pictures, none will be able to be uploaded for the next week and a half, please maintain patience few and faithful readers. To begin, we discuss a 24 hour travel to Italy. Sic hour train ride overnight to Athens, metro, metro, train, train, sleeping in Athens airport 7 hours, flight to Rome, metro, Train to Naples, cab to hostel. All this to save 50 euros. Ah, high times. In any effect we arrived. The hostel owner gave us incredible descriptions of tours and maps which inevitably made Napoli even more exciting. With a great night's sleep on pillow like mattresses, our first day consisted of a scenic walk.. shopping.. shopping... most fantastic pizza.. a tour of the underground city and dinner at the hostel graciously provided by Giovanni. Day 2 we decided there was more to see in Napoli and less in expensive Positano, so we elected to arrange an extra night in Napoli and an extra night in Roma. In any effect, Day 2 - Pompei. An incredible experience involving 4 hours of "everything the same". In all seriousness, Pompei was a mind-blowing realization of a civilization's tragedy 2,000 years ago, but it is incredibly extensive. If I were to narrow down high points of diversity it would be : bodies, 2 houses with remaining paintings on wall, grand theater, the vineyard, brothel, and the public forum. The majority of streets are lined with ruins which closely resemble each other, in no way is this negative, but after 4 hours you begin to wish you had chosen carefully about sites instead of wandering in wonder. We then ventured back to the hostel and rested before going in search of a small restaurant to "ciao" down in ;-). Today we went to the island of Capri, which was in every way the most beautiful place I have ever gazed at. My mother in particular, would have felt at home here. Despite the high end, high nose, shops available, the city is lined with viewpoints of the rocks of mountain beneath and white crested waves crashing over them. As my marathon training has taken the backseat to my travels, it would seem helpful that the 2 miles of stair climbing I did for a good picture could in one way or another be cross training. And it's true, my calves have never been so stretched. Unfortunately, I have never been so concerned that my knee would blow up in the most horrible times and lead to my ultimate demise upon rocktops. My dear knee is cursing my name, but atleast she's healing from last week's face dive. Tomorrow morning our plans take us to Rome, and the colosseum. We will see the Vatican on Wednesday, and lords knows what on Thursday. My final thoughts, Napoli, if you ever come to Thessaloniki, look me up. Thinking fondly of my Greece, looking forward to coming adventures.

How can you ever see falling in a negative way, not in this way. I'd fall with you doll, anyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment