Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Rise and Shine





Mornings in Thessaloniki are an experience in themselves. As I have it set up, I wake up with no choice but to look directly out of my balcony door, for which I open the curtains intentionally before bed. Most days, the sun is already shining. My first few breaths in wake are the most calm, the most peaceful, the most rested. I'll have you know this is not influenced by the comfortability of my bed, which is only slightly softer than rock solid. Of course, if I recall correctly from a very popular, very reputable, witty film - "Two Weeks Notice" - I could also mention that a firmer mattress puts more pressure on the 4th and 5th vertebrae which influences a deeper sleep. If you can't trust Sandra Bullock, who can you trust? I live in one of the highest apt. buildings in my neighborhood, there is a woman in the building who every morning about this time puts her laundry out to dry. These are not small loads, mind you, which leads me to believe that there may be a rather sizable group of people living in that apartment. This, from what I understand is not uncommon. Not only from an economical perspective but also from the strong family ties which seem to lie in almost every culture except American culture. In the apartment above her, I have only seen the tenant in the window once. It's a very small window.. originally I saw what appeared to be a bed comforter dangling out of the window - but when I looked again I saw a figure passing the window.. wearing the bed cover. I must wonder - did I miss a strip show? The tops of the buildings are the most intriguing to me. They have roofs, then extra construction materials atop said roofs. Just int eh one next to me, I identify a mailbox looking items (for the stork ?), dispersed free standing bricks, an AC unit, a couple of cylinder things, and few square objects. Might I also mention, there is an office chair atop this roof. Yes, an office chair. Sitting directly outside of the window which is barred. What observations. I tell you, without naivety, in the morning hours, afternoons, and lively night hours, I love no place more than this. Mark my words, all I need is Cleo to make this home.

1 comment:

  1. She is sooooooo cute ;)

    And to my experience, you'd be suprised a lot more with the things I've seen that end up on some rooftops...

    ReplyDelete