Sunday, February 28, 2010

I don't dilly dally, I just whoopsie daisy



The knee brace is back in fashion and training has commenced. On April 18 I am running the "Alexander the Great" Marathon here in Thessaloniki.It starts in Pella, area of Alexander the Great's birthplace, and runs essentially through the country side right into Thessaloniki. I have 47 days to accelerate my training and kick it into high gear! This will be an intense 6 weeks, especially with Spring Break popping right in the middle, but as long as I can order a supply of sports beans and gu to be delivered pronto, it should be fine! Here I come amazon.com. Today I ran approximately 8 miles along the Aegean back and forth which was a great start, in the next few days though I will need to hit 13 miles. Lemon Squeezy. I've already felt the pains in my knees, particularly my left so we must hope for the best that my knee brace continues to do its job, I have been wearing it all day today and foresee this being a regular occurrence. Where I run, on the bike section is like a different ground texture from the rest of the water line. While all walking areas are concrete/crushed rock mixture, the bike lane is sort of a bouncy asphalt, this should help with shock absorbency.
In addition, I made one of the meals previously described in a blog a few days ago. It turned out.. incredible. I sauteed mushrooms and spinach in olive oil with salt/pepper/garlic salt and used that as my first layer. I baked a piece of chicken, of cutlet size, and laid that on top of the spinach base, followed by a layer of tomato and veggie (spaghetti) sauce, and topped it all with melted feta cheese. If I hadn't reached genius status before, I surely reached it with last night's meal. The joys of cooking were so unappreciated by myself up until this point. Mediterranean diets ( heavy in veggies and olive oil) are supposed to be great for your heart. They lack substantial fats and processed food and require fresh ingredients.
In a final note, tomorrow is my first day teaching English to the ARSIS kids, I suppose we start with names. Perhaps I will be able to gauge how progressed their English knowledge base is, but my assumption is that beyond names - we must learn the alphabet. For the first time today, the idea came to me - what if I didn't go home?

3 comments:

  1. Another marathon, holy crap! You go! The cooking sounds great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. .. says the guy who did the marine corps and the disney marathon within a 3 month period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good read :)

    Came across this today... thought it fit well.

    http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/02/healthy-diet-country-lifestyle-health-soy-vegetables.html

    ReplyDelete