Friday, February 26, 2010

Around the world in 80 days


This week has been more demanding than others. For those who don't know, I have now been living in Greece for a month. It is hard to believe. I have been here long enough that it feels quite natural, I don't feel like I'm anywhere foreign, I feel like I am where I live. This is a nice feeling. Although, in all hoensty, when I begin thinking about going back to America my head just starts going in circles. Sidenote: I originally and accidentally typed that statement as "my heads just starts going" and debated leaving the "head" plural so as to illustrate the idea that I am in fact, nuts. Mais, I did not for the benefit of grammar. Over the course of the last few days, I have entered into crunch time for Spring Break planning. We are looking at doing a few cities in Italy over the course of a week, and then Egypt over the course of 5 days. Some flights have been booked due to daily rising prices. Now it is just other means of travel and transportation, tours, and accomodation. Luckily a very handy book was left in my apartment detailing where to go, what to see, and suggestions on how to get there. Italy should be a piece of cake, but Egypt is giving us trouble. Any suggestions on reliable guided tours and tour companies, please insert in comment box. On Wednesday I took my first cooking class. For those who spoke to me before departure, you might remember that I had a short list of things I definitely wanted to do in Greece - the first one said list was to take an authentic cooking class. Check! In the first class we cooked traditional spinach pie with yogurt dressing. In the states it may be recognized as spanakopita. It was wonderful! And, despite common belief, I think I will do well making it on my own. though it might be a good idea to rewrite my recipe so that it is legible. Hard to write with dough on your hands. Above I have placed an example taking from the web of what spinach pie looks like, as I did not have my camera at the class. I am very excited to see what next week's menu will be. Tomorrow is the day for grocery shopping, it is about time I start cooking something besides spinach salad, tuna salad, mac and cheese, and cheerios with yogurt :-) I am going to attempt to buy meat here. Lawd knows that can be a challenge. My goal will be to buy chicken, and make ( what my mother will be familiar with) greek chow mein, I assure you not a typical Greek meal. And use the same ingredients plus a couple more for Chicken Spanakopita, also not a Greek meal.. but one of my favorites from an American Greek restaurant. I do quite enjoy cooking at this point. The best part is, most of these will have more than one serving, I can be eating for days people! The weather has been beautiful lately, I do hope this sun continues to shine throughout the next few months. Rain rain has gone away.

3 comments:

  1. Where did you end up deciding to go in Italy?

    Can't help too much with Egypt. From what I understand if you go without a tour group you get hassled to death by people offering tours. You can hire someone to be a driver/tour guide, but it sounds like its easy to get ripped off. Also security can be a concern from what I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We fly into Rome and immediately take a bus to Naples. A couple of days there and a day trip to Pompei, then a bus to Positano. We have a few days in positano and a day trip planned for Capri to see the Blue Grotto. Then we travel back up to Rome for a couple of days and fly out. I was able to locate someone who works at the University who went last semester. She has been giving me tips that seem pretty helpful. HAH We will make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. Naples is rather dirty compared to a lot of the little cities on the coast, but you should definitely checkout the archeological museum there. A lot of what they got out of Pompeii they moved there. Unfortunately we didn't know that until after we left (psst: apparently they have all the dirty art work sectioned off so as not to offend the casual visitor).

    You'll like Capri. It's beautiful and the ferry ride over is fun.

    ReplyDelete