Sunday, February 14, 2010

Let's hope I picked up more than just her good looks.








First, an apology. To my faithful few readers - terribly sorry for not writing the past few days, I just couldn't figure out topics. Shit happens :-) Watch your mouth. So, in an effort to solve this dilemma, I elected to go for a walk with my good camera and take some shots of my new stomping ground.
This worked out well because today was the first sunny, mildly warm, day in almost a week. What a relief! This city, is truly worth living in when the sun is out. Ah, I can only imagine how incredible Spring and Summer will be. The natives came out today, but the natives will all be out then. On my walk, I first passed the Russians who run the corner store. This corner store, I might add, must be largest sales spot for Amstel and Heineken. They stay open until midnight and are literally 10 feet from a building stocked with college students who can't drink in the states. In addition, this building's dumpsters must contain more glass bottles than the total of the entire city's output. I don't see this as something to frown upon though, adults, because what we might take an opportunity to notice is that said college students are just enjoying and embracing one of the perks of another culture. It's life, live it or... fall over drunk trying. I digress, following my routine crossing of a heavily trafficked intersection, I continued forward toward Kamara - the arch. This walk involves passing the Rotunda, and many stray animals which call the square parks home. It's an uneasy feeling, having to pass these pups and kitties on a daily basis. particularly on rainy or cold days, it is so easy for me to have the urge to take off my jacket and lay it over the one shaking under a doorway. As it was explained to me, the animal compassion is not so heavy in Greece. While there are pet owners, it is uncommon. Thessaloniki's development into a large Metrapolis was fairly recent, and those living in the rural parts of the country had many animals but either elected not to keep them, or not to bring them upon migration to the urban areas. Occasionally people will get pets, and then weeks later decide they do not want them so they literally put them out on the street. It's a horrible concept to comprehend.
My walk also took my down to the water , along the coast line and then back up to my apartment. I might also add that my daily runs now take place along the Aegean Sea, it's a dream folks. What some may notice from select pictures is that every y-axis (on a grid) street runs directly into the water at the end. This makes for a nice way to find your way throughout Thessaloniki. While walking back I noticed a group of young gentlemen taking a part a motorcycle and inputting car parts. Who knows what beast of a bike that might create, but I did have the opportunity to take their photo. I snuck one of the bike, and took one of the boy who wanted his picture taken. The only thing he knew how to say in English was "West Coast" so I can only assume that he spends a lot of time watching U.S. television because "West Coast" would not accurately describe Thessaloniki's geographical location. When arriving back to my apartment I found my new friend, a small kitty that I have visited everyday since my arrival. I keep telling Igor (the RA of my building) not to be surprised when he discovers a cat in my room. He laughs. Silly Serb, can't say I didn't warn you. This sweet little munchkin is truly a highlight to my day. It is my understanding that the woman across the street feeds him and takes care of him.
On the subject of caretaking. I'd like to say a few things about the person who wiped my tiny hiney. Over the course her life, my Mother has had some undeniable trials, and I think no one can deny her superior handling of any given situation.. which was in essence caused by one original situation. While it did appear that at one point she had gotten to a really safe, lovely, and contented place.. I think it is inarguable that sometimes in life you rise to fall again. The past year in particular has been total bogus. She is not often given credit for her remarkable ability to glide through life's issues without hesitation. But what you realize when she effortlessly helps you with your own struggles, and maintains the ability to put all fears at ease is that you have truly been blessed with a wonderful Mother. One, in my case, who may have no idea how appreciated and loved she is. Yamas Momma. Burn your bras!

No comments:

Post a Comment