Monday, February 8, 2010

When I drink tea, it steams my pores.











It has been raining in Thessaloniki for two days now, so today I didn't do much other than sit around streaming television from my laptop, doing laundry, and eating cheerios. I managed to get out with Tina in search of an open supermarket. "Search" being the key word, in Thessaloniki almost everything other than gyro stands and kiosks are closed. Not a good day to run out of toilet paper :-).

Today is the day of the Super Bowl, I don't want you to have any fears though - I watched it. While we do not have televisions in the apartment, nor do any of the bars have American channels.. my neighbor Richie did discover that if you offer to bring 70 drinking Americans to your bar if you would just put on the Super Bowl - they'll offer to put up a projector screen. So while it started at 1 Am here, please make no mistake - we all travelled down to watch. In fact, the majority of students are still there and the game is anticipated to continue until 5 AM. This is an interesting choice considering that the first day of classes is tomorrow. I personally only have one class on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. While no classes begin before 11 o'clock at the University, I actually dont have any classes until 2. This is very convenient because I will be taking the city bus across town and up into the hillside. I am not nervous about class, I have actually already met the majority of my professors, I am however nervous about the bus ride back. I take only one bus going to school - but returning I take 3! Count them, 3 buses. That means 3 stops I must listen for in Greek. This will be an interesting first few days, but I do believe I will catch on. Watch out for pick pockets!

I would like to say one thing about my University. It is incredibly small, this is incredibly pleasing. It is unlikely that I will have any classes above 20 students. All of the professors are very involved in the intl. program and support it heavily. I don't foresee any transition issues there. There will also be Greek students in the classes. ACT is a private school, so not very populated. The public university (which is free for Greek citizens) is actually about a block away from my apartment. This location, I hear, is prone to riots. On the subject of riots, there was one just 2 nights ago between my building and the Alexandrias building. And for any watching the news, there is a farmers' strike going on in the outskirts of Thessaloniki and Northern Greece. Farmers' are parking their trucks blocking roadways as a pointmaker. If I could tell you what they want I would but... the all too common saying.. it's all Greek to me.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you made it through the maze of busses. Sounds like watching the SuperBowl was a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of riots... not that this has much to do about riots but, Greece has been a major talking point at work these last few days. Greek bailout anyone? Think of you everytime it comes up! Hope you are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol yeah my uncle (clumpidy) was jsut mentioning that. i guess i should do my research

    ReplyDelete