Monday, February 8, 2010

Not homeless, just college students

The thing to understand about being an American traveller, is that you really want to blend in. It's not like being some attractive exotic ethnicity which intrigues people, it's like being labelled the walking rich idiot. The worst way to blend in is to travel in large groups, shouting English. The worst place to do this is on a crowded public bus. That's what I have to say about that.
I found today to be rather uneventful, though I did do quite a bit. First day of classes, I had one class - Math. I have successfully avoided any math classes in college for 3 semesters, but this one I do have to take. Good times Charlie Brown. I managed to get bus tickets without issue this morning as well, I might also mention I did so in Greek. I enjoy public transit, which is odd and I feel fairly certain that feeling won't last but for this time .. the experience is good.. crowded... and hectic.
Tonight Richie and I went out to look for scientific calculators, as I neglected to bring mine from home. Luckily, here they only run about 20 Euros. After our search, Ritchie brought up the idea of going to a free dinner. What free dinner? It's for the Aristotle University (public) students on campus. We aren't Aristotle students. They dont check IDs. Do I have anything better to do? Nope. For those who know me, you might predict that I was a little nervous about this particular mission. We were breeching security on a campus where cops aren't even allowed (thats right!) while ritchie strolled confidently, I chuckled behind at what may or may not await when it becomes "just our luck" that today they are checking IDs. However, my suspicions were put to rest when I noticed the woman standing in front of me in the bread line was creeping over 50, dressed in multiple layers, and rocking a white substance under her nose. As we walked to the back corner table, I noticed other "non-student" looking characters in the building. Don't get me wrong, there were students, I assume. I'd have to assume though, that if the .. homeless.. can slip by.. then so can two actual students. Of another University :-) The public school kids seem to get all the perks. They get discount bus tickets, free meals with the homeless, discount drinks, etc. This strikes me as odd because public universities are free.. while those in private universities are shoveling out $10,000 a semester. Now, after that.. who would you rightly assume is broke? Ah, it is of no matter to me, but 30 cents on a 60 cent bus ticket adds up brother.
It's a stormy night, let's hope that doesn't make for a stormy morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment