Thursday, February 4, 2010







We must begin with a description of the program, and how I have arrived at what is now Day 4 in Thessaloniki, Greece. Thessaloniki is the second largest city in Greece, with a population slightly over 1 million it steeps largely from that of the first largest city, Athens, populated at 5 million. The choice to flee the United States was made when I debated between fleeing to Philadelphia and study abroad. in fact, the choice was made rather quickly. It took 3 days to choose Thessaloniki, beginning with a chance finding of the Study Abroad Fair and ending with a short meeting with Greek director, Jim. The original intent of the meeting was to find out what the process was for study abroad and when the deadline was for 2011 programs, but with one sentence the intent changed. "Chels," he said, " why don't you just go this spring?" With that inquiry, the decision was made. It would take incredibly quick movements and document signings.. but Thessaloniki won over Philly - this time. After a long process of doctor's visits and certifications, paperwork, and Visa applications - Jan. 30, 2010 arrived. Hence, my departure of the United States.
The flights were nothing out of the ordinary, delay here, delay there, stress, fatigue, leg cramps, back aches, and a successful landing in the most water surrounded country in the world. I took a 20 Euro cab from the airport to my very central, very perfect, downtown studio apartment. Instead of feeling excitement though, this student had the reoccuring mindset, " What the hell did I get myself into?" 4 months, in a country that looks nothing like I had imagined.. which uses a language I had not familiarized myself with in the slightest. Malaka! - As the Greeks might say. I elected that a nap and a shower would do this American some good. The nap played it's part; however, the shower could not remember it's lines. In translation, I could not get the water to come out of the shower head so I sat under the faucet and attempted a very cold shower. Wet is wet. Thankfully, after an uplifting venture to find a gyro and a three hour walk throughout Thessaloniki, ending at the mediterranean sea, spirits were lifted. On the second day, friends were made. On the third day, Thessaloniki created heaven. And there was light. The equivalency to Walnut Ave, Philadelphia, PA ( a shopping street I adore) "heaven" in Thessaloniki sits on the second main street horizontal to my apartment. On the fourth day, "do you smell that?".. Academia. An elightening visit to my college, ACT, made this student ready for a regular schedule. And so it begins, with every day Thessaloniki becomes more and more my home. The language clicks quicker, the streets make sense, and I feel certain that at one point or another this alphabet will appear as more than just doodles. Any hesitancy to ask for directions, or for an english speaker, any doubt in my ability to succeed in a foreign country crumbles as each of these things becomes a success in themselves. It is a system of affirmations that instills confidence in an individual. One must seek to try, to make effort, and in success of these trials find an affirmation that fear is just an emotion while we - party people - are circulating forms which maintain the power to live. Even in failure, we learn techniques for the next attempt. Courage is the note of importance. Successes and failures.



1 comment:

  1. Did you ever figure out the shower? Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete